Fossil’s Commitment to Wear OS by Google
Fossil’s presence at the IFA 2019 show was big and bold.. Very much a show of force and commitment to Wear OS by Google. Where other’s have many unkind things to say about Wear OS, Fossil seem to be making it work, the Gen 5 line up of smart lifestyle watches were on show for all to see and they certainly made an impression on me.
What’s on offer you might ask? Well here’s a run down of the new Gen 5 features from the Fossil Group’s most advanced smartwatches ever utilising Wear OS by Google.
- Extended Battery Life: An exclusive app offers one-swipe access to four battery modes – Daily, Extended, Time-only and Custom. Extended battery mode unlocks multi-day usage by keeping on essential features such as notifications and heart rate on a single, one-hour charge
- Voice Calling: A newly-added speaker and a Fossil Group proprietary app launching later this Fall enables iPhone users to make and receive calls while tethered to their phones; all other users are immediately able to make and receive tethered voice calls from the nextgen smartwatches. With the launch of this app, Android users will be able to benefit from a more seamless transition between Bluetooth devices when taking calls from their smartwatch
- Microphone and Swim proof Speaker: A swim proof speaker eliminates the need for an additional sound-dampening mesh barrier to keep out water; smartwatch users can get things done with help from Google Assistant and hear responses back, take phone calls, get audible alerts, play music and more
- Increased Storage: Tech enhancements double the storage space (to 8GB) and memory (to 1GB RAM), allowing users to download more apps and media while enhancing performance
- Experiences: Leveraging the enhanced storage, Fossil Group is auto-installing apps – such as Cardiogram, Spotify, Noonlight – to select nextgen smartwatches
- Processor: An updated processor features the latest Qualcomm® Snapdragon Wear™ 3100 platform
“We’ve made multi-day battery life for touchscreen smartwatches possible with one touch – a disruptor for smartwatches on the Wear OS by Google platform. And, we’re leading the industry on Wear OS by Google by enabling tethered phone calls for iPhone users,” said Fossil Group Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer Greg McKelvey. “Both advancements are the result of our unrelenting focus on advancing wearable technology. We’ll continue to integrate the latest tech features our customers need with the styles they love.”
In addition to new touchscreen smartwatch innovations, Fossil Group will introduce a new category of hybrid smartwatches this fall/holiday seasons. Ultimately filling an identified gap in the wearables market, this new category of hybrid smartwatches has functionality similar to a touchscreen smartwatch with the look and feel of a classic watch, while still offering long battery life.
Fossil Group, with over $ 400 million in wearable device sales in 2018, will launch more than 100 new smartwatch styles across 10 brands this 2019 fall/holiday retail season. Brands and specific styles will be revealed throughout the season, these will include Puma, Michael Kors, Emporio Armani & Diesel.
It seems that if anyone can make Wear OS a thing, Fossil Group can. With their current and future portfolios it’s both exciting and impressive to see such commitment to a Wear OS across such a variety of brands. Is a new Gen 5 Fossil “smart watch” on your shopping list?